- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced fresh ginger
- ¼ tsp (2 ml) ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp (3 ml) ground allspice
- ½ tsp (3 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) coconut milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dark rum
- ¾ cup (180 ml) sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1 lb. (450 g) crab meat
- 5 egg whites
- ¼ tsp (2 ml) cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium size skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, nutmeg, all spice, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk and coconut milk, and stir well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, and whisk in thoroughly.
- Once egg yolks have been incorporated, add rum, and stir in toasted coconut flakes and crab meat.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar together until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg white mixture into the crab mixture, keeping the final batter fluffy.
- Lightly butter and flour the inside of the soufflé dishes.
- Pour batter into soufflé dishes, leaving ½-inch space from the top.
- Place soufflé dishes on a baking tray and put the tray into the hot oven.
- Cook for 30 minutes, or until nicely puffed and golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.