- 48 hard shell small clams, scrubbed clean
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter
- 1 cup (240 ml) white wine
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped parsley
Tomatillo and Bacon Salsa
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped and seeded tomatillos
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped and seeded ripe tomatoes
- ½ cup (120 ml) diced Spanish or Bermuda onions
- ¼ cup (60 ml) minced fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup (60 ml) fresh lime and lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) minced jalapeno
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped garlic
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- 6 pieces crispy cooked bacon, drained of excess fat and chopped into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- crusty bread
- Add tomatillos, tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime and lemon juice, jalapeno, garlic, ground cumin and bacon to a bowl. Mix well and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Wash and clean clams well. Discard any cracked or open shells.
- Prepare barbecue for direct grilling at high heat, 400-500F (205-260C). Place a grill basket lined with tinfoil over direct heat for 10 minutes to preheat.
- Add butter to preheated grill basket and melt. Add clams, parsley, and white wine. Close lid on BBQ. Allow to cook for 4 minutes, turning occasionally. Clams are done when they open. Discard any clams that have not opened.
- Put clams in a bowl. Toss with tomatillo and bacon salsa. Serve with crusty bread.
Note: Cooking times and temperatures will vary depending on the size and type of your barbecue.