Ease of preparation
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) heavy cream
- 3 cups (720 ml) chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 1 ¾ cups (420 ml) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- ¾ cup (180 ml) good quality cocoa powder
- 2 cups (480 ml) brown sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) butter, melted and cooled
- ½ cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- Icing sugar, for decorating
To make ganache frosting
- Heat cream in a double boiler. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Add chocolate pieces and mix in until they melt. Add butter and mix in. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours.
To make cake
- Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C).
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a bowl and whisk together. Add cocoa powder and whisk in. Add brown sugar and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, add butter, vegetable oil, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and buttermilk, and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour the egg mixture into it. Mix just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly between 3 greased cake tins. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
To make ganache glaze
- Heat cream in a double boiler. Take off the heat and allow to cool for 1 minute.
- Add chocolate pieces and mix in until they melt. Add butter and mix in.
- Remove bowl of ganache from the fridge. Whip ganache to soften slightly.
- Level cakes by cutting off tops. Spread each layer of cake with ganache frosting. Stack layers. Pour ganache glaze over top. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Remove from fridge and place a clean paper doily on top. Sprinkle doily with icing sugar. Remove doily. Serve.