- 5 New Mexico chilies, dried and roasted
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1½ lbs (24 oz.) beef chuck, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 white onion, roughly chopped, divided
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh oregano, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- To rehydrate Mexico chilies, cover chilies with hot water and soak for 20 minutes.
- Once rehydrated, strain and chop chilies and reserve soaking liquid for later use.
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add beef cubes to the Dutch oven to sear, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, until all sides are browned.
- Stir in half the onions, half the chilies, half the tomatoes and half the garlic.
- Continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in reserved soaking liquid, potatoes, oregano, and 3 cups (720 ml) of water and bring to a simmer.
- While mixture simmers, transfer remaining chilies, tomatoes, garlic and onions to a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to simmering Chile Con Carne and mix well.
- Continue simmering Chile for 50-60 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and meat are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Serve hot garnished with sour cream and cilantro.