- 1 tsp (5 ml) allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ghee, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, skin-on, bone-in
- 2 cups (480 ml) freekeh
- 4 cups (960 ml) chicken stock
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) pepper
- roasted and sliced almonds, for garnish
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Dry toast allspice, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and black peppercorns in a pan.
- Remove from pan and add to a spice sachet. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ghee to the pan and heat. Add chicken breasts skin side down, and sear. Flip and sear on the other side. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add onion to pan and fry until fragrant.
- Add remaining ghee. Add freekeh and stir to coat. Add salt and pepper.
- Add spice sachet, and pour in stock.
- Add chicken back to pot.
- Cover and let cook 20-25 minutes or until freekeh and chicken are fully cooked.
- Remove spice sachet.
- Plate chicken.
- Top with sliced almonds and parsley.
- Serve with garlic tahini yogurt dip.