- 2 cups (480 ml) olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs, skinless and bone-in
- peel of 1 orange
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) canola oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 large tomatillo, chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) canned fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
- ½ cup (120 ml) chicken stock
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) crumbled Panela cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken thighs, orange peel, bay leaves, black peppercorns and 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml) salt to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Bring oil to a simmer and cook for 45-50 minutes, flipping chicken occasionally, until chicken is golden brown on the outside.
- Remove chicken from oil, and pull meat off the bones. Discard bones.
- In a skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and tomatillos, and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions start to soften.
- Stir in fire-roasted tomatoes, oregano, cumin, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chicken stock and 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) each of salt and pepper.
- Cook for an additional 7-8 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Transfer the cooked chicken back into the pan and continue cooking for 5-6 minutes, pulling chicken apart as you stir.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Divide chicken between corn tortillas and top with cilantro, Panela cheese, and avocado.
- Serve tacos hot with a wedge of lime on the side.