Preparation is easy.
Preparation time is 20 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings.
- 4 ounces flour (250 grams)
- ½ teaspoon salt (a pinch)
- 1 ½ ounces melted butter (40 millilitres)
- 6 fluid ounces cold water (200 millilitres)
- 4 egg whites
- 48 pieces leafy celery tops
- Vegetable oil to deep fry
- Preheat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the flour, salt and melted butter together. Gradually mix in the cold water until a thin batter forms.
- Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and then fold them gently into the batter mixture.
- Dip the celery leaves into the batter and then drop them immediately into the oil. Fry for a couple of minutes or until golden.
- Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve immediately.