- 2 cups penne pasta
- 1 tsp neutral oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup white onion sliced
- 2 cups brown mushrooms diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4-5 chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- grated Parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook penne according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Cook onions for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Once they’ve become caramelized, add the mushrooms and cook another 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the chicken thighs. If needed, add another drop or two of oil. Cook for 7-10 minutes, until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return onion and mushroom mixture to the skillet. Add heavy cream, and stir well, getting all the bits off the bottom the pan. Simmer on medium-low for 2-3 minutes, until cream has reduced slightly. Taste for seasoning, and adjust as needed.
- Slice the chicken into large pieces.
- Add the cooked, drained pasta to the sauce, along with the cooked, sliced chicken and chopped parsley. Toss well, and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional).