- 1 ¼ cups (300 ml) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (240 ml) white wine
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- 1 cup (240 ml) icing sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chocolate chips
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- canola oil, for deep-frying
- For this you will need metal tubes ½ inch in diameter and approximately 5 inches long.
- Sift flour, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Add wine, and knead together to form a dough that is stiff, smooth and elastic.
- Roll out on a flat surface dusted with flour.
- Once rolled thin, cut 12 rounds that are approximately 3 inches across.
- Put a metal tube diagonally over each round and fold the edges over the tube so they meet and press them together.
- Heat frying oil in deep pan to 350F (180C).
- Fry the pastry tubes 2 at a time in the oil for 3-5 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to drain excess liquid.
- Once cooled, carefully remove the metal tube from the pastry, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form and add ricotta cheese, icing sugar, chocolate chips and vanilla extract. Mix for another 2 minutes.
- Mix filling well until it is uniform and smooth, then fold in chocolate chips
- Once the pastry tubes are cool, stuff neatly with the filling using a spoon or a piping bag.
- Serve cold.