4 to 6
Ease of preparation
- 2 cups (480 ml) flour, plus 3 tablespoons
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) buckwheat flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 3 cups (720 ml) Italian beer (or substitute with red lager or sparkling water)
- 12 ounces (340 g) Valtellina Casera cheese (or substitute with Fontina cheese)
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Sliced bresaolo (or substitute with prosciutto)
- Add flour, buckwheat flour, salt, fresh ground pepper, and baking soda to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Gradually add beer, while whisking continuously, until the batter has a thick, smooth consistency. Cover the batter and let rest at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan to 325-350 F (160-175 C).
- Dice cheese into ½-inch (1 ¼ cm) cubes and toss with 3 tablespoons (45 ml) flour. Add cheese to bowl of batter in batches, tossing to coat fully. Fry coated cheese in batches (do not overcrowd) for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper-towel covered plate.
- Serve with sliced bresaolo on a bed of arugula.