Ease of preparation
- 2 whole fresh mullet, scales removed and gutted
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sweet soy sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) flour
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Parsley leaves, to garnish
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) minced fresh ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bird’s eye chili, chopped
- 1 mango, not quite ripe, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) cane vinegar
- 3 tablespoon (45 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
- Cut off head and tail of fish and reserve. With eye facing up on the cutting board, slice the head in half horizontally. Lie the tail flat on the cutting board and slice in half horizontally. Remove filet from the backbone on either side, then remove any remaining pin bones. Cut into 2-3 pieces. Repeat with the other fish.
- Mix the eggs with the liquid smoke, soy sauce, and sweet soy sauce. Add fish pieces, including heads and tail, to the egg mixture. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the chutney, add oil to skillet on medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and ginger and cook 3-4 minutes. Add chopped bell peppers, chili pepper, and mango. Stir and cook 5-6 minutes. Add vinegar and sugar and mix together. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water to form a slurry. Pour into skillet and stir in. Cook 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Add chives and stir in.
- To finish, add ½-inch (1.25 cm) of vegetable oil to a skillet and heat to 350 F (175 C). Add flour to a wide bowl. Remove fish from marinade and dredge in flour, shaking off any excess. Add fish pieces to the hot oil. Cook 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on other side. Remove fish from oil to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Assemble 2-3 pieces of fish filet on a plate to look like a deconstructed fish. Place ½ a fish head at one end, and ½ a fish tail at the other end, to resemble the shape of a fish. Top with chutney mixture. Garnish with parsley. Repeat with the remaining pieces of fish.