- 1 Rainbow trout, whole, cleaned and deboned, with head and tail fin removed
- 8 Slices of double smoked bacon, diced
- 1 Leek, chopped, white and light green part only
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Heavy cream
- 12 Grape tomatoes, chopped thinly
- 1 lb (450 g) Loaf hearty, day-old, whole wheat bread in 1-inch cubes
- 4 Cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Asparagus, cut into segments
- 2 cups (500 ml) Peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 Lemon, juice only
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Arugula
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Push the bacon to one side of the pan and add leeks to the other. Season the leeks with pepper. As leeks soften, toss together with bacon in the pan. Add heavy cream and allow to cook down.
- Add tomatoes to the pan and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Lay plastic wrap over a glass dish and scoop in mixture from pan. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
- In a large bowl toss the bread with garlic, shallot, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Turn the bread out onto a baking sheet and toast in a 375˚F (190˚C) oven for about 15 minutes – or until they are golden and crunchy. Remove the toasted bread and set aside.
- Increase the oven temperature to 450°F (230°C).
- Season trout with salt and pepper. Lay trout open and flat. Spoon chilled BLT mixture into centre of trout, then fold trout closed. Tie with string to hold the stuffing in place. Add a little salt over top of trout. Lightly oil a large, shallow pan. Cook for 4 minutes, turning once. Place pan in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Place asparagus and peas to a heated pan with a splash of water. Cook for 1 minute. Drizzle oil and lemon juice over top and season with salt, and pepper. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Place arugula in a salad bowl. Pour asparagus and peas over top and toss. Add crispy breadcrumbs to the salad and toss.
- Remove trout from oven and cut the strings. Plate and drizzle oil season as desired and serve with panzanella salad.