6 hot dogs
Ease of preparation
- 6 thick, large carrots
- 2 cups (480 ml) vegetable broth
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (120 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grainy mustard
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black pepper
- 6 rustic hotdog buns
- Oil, for grill
- kohlrabi slaw (see recipe), for serving
- Trim and peel carrots to resemble hot dog weiners. Add vegetable broth, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, soy sauce, grainy mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, and pepper to a large saucepan. Stir to combine. Add carrots. Bring liquid and carrots to a gentle boil and turn down to medium heat. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until carrots are almost fork tender.
- Remove carrots from saucepan and keep reducing liquid until slightly thickened.
- Brush grill with oil. Place carrots on grill and cook, turning once or twice to create grill marks. Baste with reduced maple mustard glaze on all sides while grilling. Remove from grill once charred.
- Slice and toast hot dog buns on grill.
- Add one grilled carrot to each toasted bun. Garnish with carrot kohlrabi slaw (see recipe) and drizzle with excess glaze.