1 1/2 cups
- 1.5 lbs (681 g) thick cut bacon
- 2 large sweet onions (Vidalia)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced garlic
- 1 tsp (5 ml) canned chipotle chili peppers
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) ground allspice powder
- ½ cup bourbon (125 ml) or strong coffee
- ½ cup (125 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- brown sugar to balance sweetness if necessary
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Cook until nice and golden brown and crispy. Remove and drain on a paper-towel lined tray.
- Pour off all but one tablespoon (15 ml) of the bacon fat.
- Chop the onions into a small dice.
- Place pan over medium heat and add the onions and cook until caramelized.
- Add garlic and the spices and sauté one minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 20- 25 minutes over low heat until reduced like jam.
- Add the bacon (roughly chopped) and cook a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat check the sweetness. If necessary add brown sugar to balance.
Note: Keeps for 1 week