Ease of preparation
Bacon graham cracker crust
- 2 ¾ cups (660 ml) graham cracker crumbs
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- ¼ cup (60 ml) melted butter
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) melted bacon fat
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) brown sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) milk
- 2 cups (480 ml) heavy cream
- 2 cups (480 ml) dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) flour
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) cornstarch
- 6 egg yolks, whisked
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) butter
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- 8 slices cooked bacon, roughly chopped, to top
To make bacon graham cracker crust
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Add graham cracker crumbs to a bowl. In a food processor, pulse bacon slices to crumbs, then add to graham cracker crumbs. Pour melted butter and bacon fat over mixture and stir together to combine thoroughly.
- Press mixture into a 9-inch (22 cm) pie plate and bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
To make butterscotch filling
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk together milk, heavy cream, dark brown sugar, flour and cornstarch. Continue whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of hot mixture to whisked egg yolks to temper. Add egg yolk mixture back to saucepan, whisking.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, whisking constantly to thicken.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla, butter, and salt. When thoroughly combined, pour into pre-baked crust.
- Top with chopped bacon. Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to set before serving.