- 2 tbsp (30 ml) peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup (120 ml) tomato paste
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 1 cup (240 ml) chopped roasted peanuts + more for garnish
- 2 cups (480 ml) de-ribbed and roughly chopped fresh kale
- ¾ cup (180 ml) chunky peanut butter
- 5 cups (1.2 L) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot, heat peanut oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and onions, and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Add chicken to the pot and continue stirring and cooking for 5-6 minutes, or until chicken is lightly browned.
- Stir in tomato paste until chicken is coated.
- Add the stock, and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add sweet potatoes and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the peanuts and kale, and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until soup is thick.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot, garnished with cilantro and extra roasted peanuts.