- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 3 ripe tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 4 slices country-style bread, cubed and toasted
- 4 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 4 cups (1 L) beef stock
- 1 tsp (5 ml) red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, celery and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Mix in the beef stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add bread to the soup and place over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot, and garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.