- 6 slices of bacon, cooked
- 1 kg (2.2 lbs) beef flank, butterflied
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled and peeled
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 12 cups (3 L) beef stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (5 ml) fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Lay the butterflied flank steak on a cutting board and pound it with meat mallet to tenderize and flatten it.
- Season meat with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley, garlic and oregano.
- Lay the grated carrots and onions over the seasoned meat, leaving a 1 inch space around all edges.
- Lay the bacon over the carrots and onions.
- Line up the eggs over the bacon slices.
- Take front end of the meat and tightly roll over the stuffing until it reaches the other end of the meat.
- Place roll over cheesecloth and roll tightly.
- Using butcher twine, tie the stuffed flank steak every 2 inches and at the tips so it holds well together.
- Bring beef stock to a boil over high heat in a deep baking dish.
- Place roll in the beef stock, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place baking dish in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven, and remove roll from beef stock.
- Untie and unwrap the stuffed flank steak.
- Drizzle with oil, and place on a hot grill to char slightly char the outside.
- Cook on all sides for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from grill, and slice into 6-8 equal portions.
- Serve hot.