- ½ cup (120 ml) plain yogurt
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ginger, chopped
- 4 chicken thighs, with skin and bones
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) curry powder
- 1 tbsp (5 ml) turmeric powder
- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) jasmine rice, raw
- 3 green cardamom pods, whole
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) chicken stock
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, turmeric, curry powder, salt and chicken.
- Mix together until the marinade is a bright yellow color and the chicken is completely coated.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots, garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken and excess marinade to the Dutch oven, and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a simmer.
- Add rice, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cardamom and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer once again, cover and reduce heat to medium low.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- Remove from heat and let rest for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve equal amounts of chicken and rice in individual bowls.