- 1 Chinese bbq duck, de-boned with bones and flesh kept separately
- 4 cups (1 L) of water
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) black peppercorns
- ½ cup (120 ml) leeks, chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemongrass, chopped
- 2 cups (480 ml) coconut milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) coconut cream
- 5 tbsp (75 ml) red curry paste
- 1 can of lychee, drained
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) palm sugar, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fish sauce
- 2 cups (480 ml) fresh pineapple, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup (240 ml) cherry tomatoes, whole and scored
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Thai basil leaves
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 cups (1.2 L) Jasmine rice
- Cook rice and set aside.
- Place duck bones in a stock pot with water, garlic, ginger, black peppercorns, leeks, carrots and lemongrass.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, reduce coconut cream in a Dutch oven until oil starts to split.
- Add curry paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, fish sauce and palm sugar.
- Bring to a simmer before adding the duck meat.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then add eggplant, pineapple, cherry tomatoes and lychee.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until pineapple and eggplant are tender.
- Add basil leaves, and finish cooking for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve portions with a side of rice.