- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked overnight in water
- 1.5 lbs (675 g) pork collar butt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cilantro roots or stems, chopped
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) palm sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) coconut milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 1/3 tsp (2 ml) white peppercorns
- 4 cups (1 L) Thai sticky rice, cooked.
- Cook Thai sticky rice and set aside.
- In a mortar and pestle, grind together garlic, cilantro, peppercorns and palm sugar until as smooth as possible.
- Add fish sauce, soy sauce, coconut milk and water, and grind until consistency is smooth.
- Cut pork into strips that are 1-inch wide and 1/3-inch thick.
- Marinate pork for a minimum of 2 hours.
- Skewer 5-6 pieces of pork on each bamboo skewer, overlapping them slightly.
- Place in refrigerator for 1 hour to continue marinating.
- Heat grill over high heat.
- Place a sheet of aluminum paper over half the grill.
- Once the grill is hot, place skewers on the grill leaving the tips of the skewers over the aluminum foil to prevent from burning.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, and flip.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until both sides are nicely charred and pork is firm.
- Remove from grill and let rest for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve hot with equal portions of rice.