- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soft butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) white sugar / Plus ½ cup (120ml) sugar
- 2 cups (480 ml) flour, sifted
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of ½ orange
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (240 ml) honey
- white, green and red sugar sprinkles, for garnish.
- eed and green maraschino cherries, for garnish.
- oil for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, butter and 1 teaspoon (5ml) of sugar until foamy.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a separate bowl and add lemon and orange zest.
- Add egg mixture to the flour mixture, and mix together well.
- Work the dough until smooth.
- Once you reach the right consistency, form a ball and let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces and, using your hands, roll out one piece at a time until it forms a long cylinder about 1-inch in diameter.
- Cut 1 cm pieces all the way down the dough.
- Roll each piece in the palms of your hands to form small balls, and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat frying oil over medium high heat until it reaches 360F (185C).
- Deep fry the balls 20 at a time, for 3-4 minutes, or until gold brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to drain excess liquid.
- In a small sauce pan, heat honey, 1/3 cup (80 ml) water and ½ cup (120 ml) sugar together and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, place dough balls and pour honey mixture over top.
- Toss well, and place on a serving dish of your choice.
- Garnish the top with sprinkles and cherries.