- 4 dried ancho chili peppers seeded and veins removed
- 8 bone in chicken thighs skin on
- 1.5 tbsp (22.5 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- ¼ cup (60 ml) honey or more to taste
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) ground cloves
- ½ cup (125 ml) bittersweet dark chocolate grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the stems and seeds from the ancho chilies. Place ancho chilies in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover and weight down and allow to soak until softened about 15 minutes.
- Peel and dice the onion to a small dice.
- Heat oil in a medium oven proof skillet set over medium-high heat.
- Rinse chicken with cold water and pat dry.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place skin side down in pan.
- Cook without moving until skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove chicken and place in an oven proof baking tray.
- Drain all but 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil from chicken pan. Return pan to medium heat.
- To the pan add chopped onion and garlic cook over medium heat until golden and caramelized.
- Squeeze excess moisture from soaked chilies. Reserve liquid.
- Add the chilies to the pan along with ½ cup (125 ml) of the reserved soaking liquid.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves and honey.
- Stir in chocolate to melt.
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. If you need extra liquid if mixture is too thick to blend use the reserved chili soaking water. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If mixture needs more sweetness to balance the spice of the chilies add a little chocolate or a drizzle of honey
- Pour blended sauce over chicken. Place in preheated 350F (176C) oven and cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice.