- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (240 ml) pancetta, cubed
- 8 oz. (225 g) dry spaghetti
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) pecorino cheese, finely grated
- ¼ cup (60 ml) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- black pepper, to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the spaghetti in the boiling water for 12 minutes, or until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add pancetta and cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- During this process remove the crushed garlic when brown, but not burnt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, pepper and cheeses.
- Strain the noodles once they are cooked, reserving a small cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add noodles to the hot frying pan with oil and pancetta, and toss.
- Remove pan from the heat, and pour in the egg mixture, stirring vigorously.
- Once the sauce cooks and thickens, add a little cooking water to adjust the texture.
- Serve hot, and garnish with black pepper, Parmesan cheese and ground nutmeg.