- 4 roma tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) crushed dried red peppers
- salt, to taste
- 2 slices firm white bread, cut into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Toast almonds in oven for 8-10 minutes, and remove from the oven.
- While almonds are toasting, soak the dried ancho chilies in boiling water for 5-6 minutes, or until they are soft, and place in ice water.
- Remove the seeds from the chilies and cut into small pieces.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes, chilies and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add almonds, vinegar and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add bread and salt and stir.
- Remove from the heat and place into a food processor.
- Blend until the texture is smooth, slowly add water if texture is too thick.
- Reserve in a bowl and cool.
- Serve with razor clams with pink pepper and tarragon (see recipe).