- 1 ½ cups (360 ml) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup (120 ml) chilled unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) superfine sugar
- 1 large egg
- zest from 1 lemon
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cups (200 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) corn starch
- 2 cups (480 ml) ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- zest from 1 lemon
- icing sugar, to garnish
- tart shell dough
- Sift the flour in a large mixing bowl and work in the butter using your hands, until the mixture has the consistency of coarsely grated cheese.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, lemon zest and eggs.
- Add egg mixture to bowl with butter and flour, and work the batter with a fork until smooth.
- If the mixture seems dry, add a little cold water.
- Place the dough onto a work surface dusted with flour.
- With the palm of your hand, knead the dough by pushing out portions of dough repetitively from the center and rolling it into a ball.
- Gather dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Separate the dough into 2 halves.
- On a floured surface, roll out half the dough to the desired size.
- Place pie crust in baking dish, poke holes in the base and place baking marbles or dried beans over the bottom.
- Fold the overhanging dough slightly over the sides of the dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the marbles, and reserve the pie crust.
- Reduce oven to 320F (160C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta, salt, sugar, lemon zest, eggs, cornstarch, and mix until smooth.
- Add filling to par-baked pastry shell.
- Roll out 2nd half of the dough on the floured work surface.
- Place dough over the filled pie base and seal the edges using the tips of your fingers.
- Brush the top of the tart with egg wash, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place tart in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar.