- ¾ cup (180 ml) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs, yolks only
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 2 habanero peppers, whole
- 1 ½ lb (680 g) razor clams
- ½ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry white wine
- zest of 1 lemon
- rock salt
- habanero hollandaise
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Roast habanero peppers in oven for 5-6 minutes, or until soft and slightly dark.
- Remove peppers from oven and cool.
- Seed and finely chop habanero peppers.
- Place egg yolks, lemon juice and zest in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add butter and blend for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove sauce from food processor and place in a mixing bowl.
- Gently stir in salt and chopped habanero peppers.
- Rinse clams under cold water.
- Heat oil and garlic in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once hot, add clams, wine and lemon zest.
- Cover and steam for 5-6 minutes, or until clams are completely open.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Remove top shell of razor clams.
- Place bottom shell and clam on a baking sheet which you have covered with rock salt.
- The salt helps the clams not to tip over.
- Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of habanero hollandaise, spread evenly, over each clam.
- Broil razor clams in oven until sauce is golden brown and bubbly, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.