This recipe is from the Quinoa and Quail episode of A is for Apple, hosted by Lauren Gulyas.
6 half stuffed peppers
- 1 cup (250 ml) uncooked red quinoa
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp (5 ml) garlic minced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced diced canned chipotle in adobo sauce
- ½ cup (125 ml) red onion small dice
- 3 small red peppers
- 6 quail eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro garnish
- Rinse quinoa in cool water.
- Place 2 cups (500 ml) water and 1 cup (250 ml) quinoa, pinch of salt, onion, garlic, chipotle in a medium saucepan set over medium high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover quinoa and cook for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Stir in black beans and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place quinoa mix in a bowl and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350F (176C).
- Cut both of your peppers in half lengthwise and cut out the seeds. Place in an oven proof baking tray. Fill peppers with stuffing equally between the 6 peppers.
- Make a well with a spoon or your finger in the middle of the pepper.
- Carefully crack a quail into a small bowl then place in the well. Repeat with remaining eggs. Sprinkle with a little salt, and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the egg white is set and yolk is still runny.