- 1 cup (250 ml) yellow or red quinoa
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 2 cloves garlic minced fine
- 1 medium onion cut small ¼ inch (.31 cm) dice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) butter
- 3 large eggs at room temperature lightly beaten
- ½ cup (125 ml) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup (187 ml) bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fine chopped fresh chives
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil for cooking
Yogurt Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 ml) Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced garlic
- zest of 1 lemon plus juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced fresh chives
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa in cool water.
- Place quinoa and a pinch of salt in a pot and cover with the water. Place pan over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Allow the quinoa to cool.
- In a medium sauté pan set over medium heat add butter to melt. Add the onion and garlic and cook while stirring until fragrant and onions are soft. About 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large bowl mix together cooled quinoa, the sautéed onion and garlic, eggs, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, fresh chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes so the breadcrumbs can absorb some of the moisture. At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into twelve 1 inch (2.5 cm) patties about 1/3 inch (.8 cm) thick. Place on parchment lined tray.
- You can add more bread crumbs to firm up the mixture if need be. Conversely, a bit more beaten egg or water can be used to moisten the mixture. Refrigerate patties for 20 minutes to firm up.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick skillet set over medium-low heat.
- Place 6-7 patties in the skillet leaving a good inch (1.25 cm) between each cake. Cook until bottoms are golden brown and crispy. Flip and repeat for the remaining side. Repeat with remaining cakes.
- In a small bowl add yogurt, garlic, lemon zest and juice, chives and salt and pepper, mix to combine.
- Serve with hot quinoa cakes.
Note: Quinoa ratio is 2 cups (500 ml) water to 1 cup (250 ml) quinoa. Add water and quinoa to a pot bring to a simmer reduce heat cover and cook 12 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Quinoa absorbs flavours well, a tasty alternative to water is to cook quinoa in a flavourful chicken or vegetable stock.