- 2 sheets puff pastry, store-bought and thawed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- ½ cup (120 ml) whipping cream
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) shredded coconut
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- ½ teaspoon (3 ml) vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 325F (165C).
- Place 1 sheet of puff pastry on your cutting board.
- Roll the pastry over itself to form a spiral on the edges.
- Place rolled dough over the edge of the second sheet, and roll the second one over the first.
- Cut 1 inch rings of the rolled dough.
- Place rings on their side over a lightly floured work station.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each piece of puff pastry until you have a disk that is ¼-inch thick.
- Place each disk in a tart shell.
- Using your fingers, stretch the dough to cover the bottom and sides of the tart shell. Set aside.
- Repeat until you have 6 pie shells.
- In a small pot, combine milk and cream.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch, and add to milk and cream.
- Add egg yolks, and heat over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture coats the back of your spoon.
- Add custard mix to the tart shells.
- Place tarts on a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 250oF (120oC), and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.