A party in a bowl, beautiful to behold. Serve this with tortilla chips as an appetizer, or alongside other grilled meats. Try different herbs—whatever you’ve got growing in your garden.
- 1 pomegranate, seeds separated and skin and light-coloured membrane removed (see below)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 sprigs fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) lime zest
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, toss together all of the ingredients. Season with salt and white (or black) pepper to taste. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
How to separate pomegranate seeds: Have a large bowl of cold water ready. Cut the pomegranate in half, and place it in the water. Using your hands, separate the seeds from the pith and the membrane; the seeds will sink and everything else will float to the surface. You can then remove what’s floating and simply drain the seeds using a sieve.