A party in a bowl, beautiful to behold. Serve this with tortilla chips as an appetizer, or alongside other grilled meats. Try different herbs—whatever you’ve got growing in your garden.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pomegranate, seeds separated and skin and light-coloured membrane removed (see below)
- 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 bunches fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 sprigs fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) lime zest
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl, toss together all of the ingredients. Season with salt and white (or black) pepper to taste. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
How to separate pomegranate seeds
Have a large bowl of cold water ready. Cut the pomegranate in half, and place it in the water. Using your hands, separate the seeds from the pith and the membrane; the seeds will sink and everything else will float to the surface. You can then remove what’s floating and simply drain the seeds using a sieve. (Click here to see how easy this is!)
Recipe for Orange Confit here.
Natalia Machado’s recipe from the One World Kitchen series, brought to you by Gusto TV.
Go to oneworldkitchen.ca