- 1.5 lbs (675 g) lamb shoulder, cut into 2-inch cubes
- ½ cup (120 ml) red curry paste
- 3 cups (720 ml) coconut milk
- water, as needed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fish sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) palm sugar, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tamarind juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 cup (240 ml) white onion, cut into large pieces
- ¼ cup (60 ml) roasted peanuts
- 4 cups (1 L) Jasmine rice, cooked
- Cook Jasmine rice and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, add lamb, half the red curry paste, half the fish sauce, half the coconut milk and some water to adjust consistency.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook for 75 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate Dutch oven, add 3 tablespoons (45ml) and remaining curry paste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Let reduce until oil starts to split from the coconut milk.
- Add sweet potatoes, onions, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind paste, bay leaf, remaining coconut milk and water to adjust consistency.
- Bring to a simmer once again.
- Strain the lamb from the first Dutch oven and add it to the second.
- Cook for another 20-25 minutes until lamb and potatoes are tender.
- Serve equal portions with a side of Jasmine rice.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts.