- 2 cups (480 ml) uncooked quinoa
- 4 cups (960 ml) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 3 cups (720 ml) shitake mushrooms
- 1 cup (240 ml) shelled and chopped fresh chestnuts
- 2 cups (480 ml) arugula
- 1 cup (240 ml) crumbled goat cheese
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add quinoa to the skillet and toast for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden.
- Stir chicken stock into the skillet and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook quinoa for 15-17 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and fluffy.
- Remove quinoa from heat, and strain away excess liquid.
- Cool quinoa to room temperature and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, rosemary and olive oil.
- Stir mushrooms and chestnuts into the dressing, and toss to marinate.
- Set aside to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Once mushrooms and chestnuts are done marinating, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Remove mushrooms and chestnuts from the marinade and place on the grill.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until mushrooms and chestnuts are tender and slightly charred.
- Remove from grill and set aside to cool for 8-10 minutes to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine quinoa, chestnuts and mushrooms.
- Add remaining dressing and toss.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, add a handful of arugula to each serving dish and top with quinoa mixture.
- Garnish with goat cheese, and serve cold or at room temperature.