- 2 tsp (30 ml) water
- 1 cup (240 ml) sugar
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) coconut milk
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- ½ cup (120 ml) brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 small vanilla bean pod, pulp only
- 1 cup (240 ml) mango puree
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 fresh mango, peeled and cut into small cubes, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar over medium-high heat to make caramel.
- Simmer for 8 minutes or until sugar has turned golden, then remove from heat.
- Pour 3 tablespoons (45 ml) of the caramel into the base of each ramekin.
- Place ramekin in the refrigerator for 15 minutes for the caramel to set.
- In a new saucepan, whisk together coconut milk, milk, heavy cream, brown sugar and salt.
- Place over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the brown sugar has dissolved completely.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in vanilla pulp and mango puree.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs and egg yolks.
- Slowly pour eggs into the milk mixture, and whisk vigorously to stop the eggs from cooking.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve,. Then pour mixture into the ramekins over the caramel, leaving 1/3-inch of space at the top of each ramequin.
- Add 1-inch of water to a large wok, and heat over medium-high.
- Place a rack in the bottom of the wok, and place ramequins on the rack.
- Put a lid on the wok once water is simmering, or cover with aluminum foil.
- Steam for 18-20 minutes, or until crème caramel is slightly firm.
- Remove from heat, let cool, and chill in the refrigerator for 40-45 minutes to set completely.
- Remove from refrigerator.
- Run a small sharp knife around the edge of the crème caramel inside the ramekin.
- Flip onto a serving plate to reveal flan and caramel.
- Serve cold, and garnish with fresh mango cubes.