This might be considered Argentinian potato salad because the ingredients are grilled. The potatoes are parboiled first, then cooked to a golden brown in a skillet. The fennel and lemon, both charred, bring a nice smokiness to the dish.
- 2 bulbs fennel, green stalks removed
- 15 small red baby potatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for the charred lemon
- 1 lemon
- 2 tsp (10 ml) fresh thyme
- good-quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Place the baby potatoes in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the stock and some salt and bring to a boil. Once the stock is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are al dente. Drain the potatoes. Reserve the stock for another use if desired. Allow the potatoes to cool.
- On a cutting board using the palm of your hand, gently smash the potato into a flat round shape, keeping it intact with cracks of the potato flesh exposed.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the olive oil, and heat for 1 minute. Add the potatoes, and allow to cook until a golden caramel crust forms on one side, about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and do the same for the other side, adjusting the heat if necessary. Remove from the pan and keep warm. Do not clean out the pan.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high, then clean and lightly oil the grill grates. Cut the lemon in half, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Place the lemon halves cut side down on the grill. Cook until golden char marks develop and the lemon is warmed through. Set aside.
- Cut the fennel into 1/4-inch (6 mm) slices. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil, and heat for 1 minute. Cook the fennel for 2 minutes or until golden brown and slightly charred. Flip and cook for 1 more minute, then remove into a large bowl.
- Add the warm potatoes to the fennel, and toss with the thyme. Squeeze the juice of the charred lemons over the vegetables. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and drizzle with good-quality olive oil.