- 2 cups (500 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) hot sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbp (15 ml) fresh oregano leaves
- 3.5 lbs (1.8 kg) whole chicken cut into parts
- 3 cups (750 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) garlic powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- peanut oil for frying approximately 6 cups (1.5 L)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp(30 ml) chili paste or Korean hot sauce or Sirachi
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced garlic
- For the marinade mix together buttermilk, hot sauce, Dijon and fresh oregano in a bowl large enough to hold all the chicken.
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Place the chicken in a bowl and allow to marinade overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator
- In a medium bowl mix together the flour, garlic powder, paprika, black pepper and baking powder. Set aside.
- Preheat oil to 350F (176C).
- Pick up each piece, shake off excess liquid and toss in the flour mixture.
- Coat each piece evenly and place on tray.
- Place 2-3 pieces into the hot oil and cook for 10-15 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Turning often. Juices should run clear when poked in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Remove with a spider and place on a paper towel-lined tray.
- Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Keep chicken warm in oven.
- To make the sauce combine honey, chili paste, sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger and garlic, in a small bowl.
- Serve with hot fried chicken.