- 1 cup (240 ml) cornmeal
- 1 cup (240 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp (8 ml) baking powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- ¼ cup (60 ml) butter, melted
Cornbread and Herb Croutons
- 1 loaf of cornbread, cut into cubes
- 1 ½ tbsp (23 ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp (23 ml) butter
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano
- Cornbread croutons
- ½ cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 2 red peppers, chopped into bite size pieces
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cubed
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 cup (240 ml) cucumber, Sliced into bite size pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 oz. (56 g) of capers
- 1 cup (240 ml) pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil leaves, to garnish
- 1 cup (240 ml), shaved parmesan
- All cornbread ingredients should be at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Grease pan with butter or oil and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Once well mixed, add eggs, milk and butter.
- Do not overwork the dough, but ensure that it is smooth.
- Remove hot pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Immediately put the pan back in the oven.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove from the oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cubes of cornbread and cut on each side for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add garlic and herbs, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and reserve for salad.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together except for basil and parmesan.
- Garnish with basil leaves and parmesan.