This recipe is from the Zucchini and Zea Mays episode of A is for Apple, hosted by Lauren Gulyas.
- 4 green zucchini
- 1 tsp (5 ml) kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup (125 ml) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup (250 ml) arugula, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh dill, roughly chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) green onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 ml) cooked corn kernels
- ½ cup (125 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
- ¼ cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) thin sliced scallion
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 ml) hot sauce
- Grate zucchini and place in a colander. (You should have approximately 2 ½ cups (625ml) Sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Let sit 10 minutes.
- Place the zucchini in a clean linen towel and gently squeeze out excess liquid.
- Thin slice the green onion. Roughly chop the arugula and fresh dill.
- In a large bowl mix the zucchini egg, egg yolk, arugula, feta, dill, onion and corn.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour with the baking powder.
- Mix the flour into the wet corn and zucchini mixture add salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Add oil to a pan just to coat. Allow to heat until oil shimmers.
- Using ¼ cup (60ml) amounts, form patties with the mixture and place them in the hot pan. Repeat leaving 2 inches (5cm) between each fritter.
- Cook until edges have lost their gloss and are golden brown about 2 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side.
- Remove from heat and place on a paper towel-lined tray. Keep warm and continue to cook more fritters with the remaining batter.
- To make the dipping sauce combine sour cream, mayonnaise, green onion, dill, zest and juice of 1 lemon, Sirachi sauce in a small bowl.
- Serve fritters hot with dipping sauce.