- 1 butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- olive oil, for roasting
- salt to season
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh ricotta
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) pecorino romano, grated
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups (480 ml) mozzarella, grated
- 6 fresh lasagna sheets, trimmed
- ¼ tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
- 2 cups (480 ml) fresh spinach
Basil Cream Sauce
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 3 cups (720 ml) milk
- ½ tsp (3 ml) salt
- ½ tsp (3 ml) fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup (120 ml) basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C).
- Arrange pieces of butternut squash on a baking tray. Drizzle olive oil on top and season with salt. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until tender. Let cool.
- Add ricotta to a bowl. Grate in pecorino romano. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add garlic. Add flour to pan and stir to combine. Cook on medium-low for a few minutes. Then add milk and stir to combine. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Add basil to pan. Cook until mixture starts to thicken.
- Place fresh lasagna sheets in a single layer on the bottom of a greased baking dish or lasagna pan.
- Place butternut squash pieces on top. Top with ricotta mixture. Add a layer of fresh baby spinach. Spoon over basil cream mixture. Add a layer of fresh lasagna sheets. And repeat.
- Top with grated mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake a further 30 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbling.