- 3 onions
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece of ginger
- 3 lbs (1.4 kg) beef bones
- 3 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ lb (225 g) beef brisket
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 16 cups (4 L) water
- ½ lb (226 g) sirloin steak, sliced thin
- 1 lb (454 g) fresh rice noodles
- bean sprouts, to taste
- mint, to taste
- coriander, to taste
- red chili, to taste
- lime wedges, to taste
- hoisin sauce, to taste
- fish sauce, to taste
- Heat a grill skillet to high. Add onions and ginger and char. Remove skillet from heat. Once cooled, peel, rinse and chop onions and ginger.
- Parboil beef bones to remove impurities.
- Heat a skillet and toast cloves, star anise, and cinnamon stick. Remove from heat and put spices in a sachet.
- Put beef bones, brisket, chopped onions and ginger, garlic, fish sauce, sugar, salt, and spice sachet into a pot. Pour water over top. Bring pot to a boil, and then let simmer. Cook for 2 hours.
- Remove brisket and cut pieces up.
- Continue cooking broth for another 1 hour. Strain broth.
- Fry sirloin steak for a few minutes in a skillet, both sides.
- Cook noodles in a pot of water for 20-30 seconds or until soft but chewy.
- Divide noodles between bowls. Top with slices of brisket and sirloin. Ladle hot broth over top.
- Serve with a plate of bean sprouts, mint, coriander, red chili, and lime wedges, with hoisin sauce and fish sauce as optional toppings.