- 2 ¼ cups (540 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) sugar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of baking powder
- ¾ cup (180 ml) of butter, cold and cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon zest
- 1 tsp (5 ml) orange zest
- 1 cup (240 ml) blueberries
- 2 cups (480 ml) nectarines
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- powdered sugar, for garnishing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- In a food processor, blend flour, ½ cup (120 ml) of sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add butter, and blend again.
- Add eggs, 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla, orange and lemon zests and blend until it looks grainy.
- Remove from food processor, and form a ball with the mixture.
- Wrap dough and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, place on a surface dusted with flour and roll into a 14-inch round.
- In a mixing bowl, combine blueberries, nectarines, remaining sugar, cornstarch and remaining vanilla.
- Mix ingredients together, and pour over the center of the dough, leaving 2-inch space around all edges to fold over.
- Fold dough over, pinching edges together so that it holds the filling in the center.
- Whisk together egg and water in a small bowl, and brush over the edges of the dough.
- Sprinkle coarse sugar over the dough.
- Place pie on a baking sheet, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Let cool at room temperature before serving warm.
- Garnish with powdered sugar (optional).